Thursday, April 28, 2011

Language Journal 23 (WC: 164)

When learning sign language, it can be quite frustrating at times. According to multiple articles the best way to learn sign language is to find a really great teacher. Teachers should be able to sign with using their mouths or tongues. The grammar of sign language is entirely different from that English or any other spoken languages. For the most part, American Sign Language sentences follow a “topic” then “predicate” word order. The predicate is simply a word or phrase that says something about the topic. Continuing, those who are signing and discussing past or future events the sentence structure is “time” “topic” then “predicate.” Also American Sign Language leaves out all determiners such as “the”or “a.” Clearly those who sign only sign words that are key words to the sentence. 

Examples of English to ASL Word Order:
English: I have a brown dog.
ASL: DOG BROWN I HAVE

English: I’m going to the store at 9 AM.
ASL: 9-HOUR MORNING STORE I GO

No comments:

Post a Comment