Thursday, April 28, 2011

Language Journal 62 to 63 (WC: 257)

I think the MLA Language Map is very, very interesting. When I tried the link attached to the article, it was no longer available on CNN, but I went to the MLA site itself. I think that this map is a great way for marketers, school teachers, and other organizations where they need to focus on the language and cultures. Markers, especially in food and advertisements could use this map as a way to locate where some cultures would be more likely to buy a product than others. Educators can use this is two different matters. First, they can focus on where they want to teach based on the language and the culture. They can pick their texts based on the culture strengths that their students can relate to. Also many school districts in certain areas may require their teachers to be bilingual based on the second language that is spoken in that area.  There is also a very useful tool for both teachers and students that enable the map to show where the language is taught. I think this is a great tool for multiple reasons. Not only can it give teachers a greater way to explore their options in looking for job, but also this tool helps keeps languages alive. As this article was written in 2004, it stated that there were only 30 languages mapped out. Seven years later they have only increase by mapping out 32, but there were semi smaller languages combined into one large cluster: the Native American languages for example.

No comments:

Post a Comment